I found the original Key lime cheesecake recipe upon which this one was based through Google while searching for some way to use up 2 cups of yogurt cheese. I’ve substituted some of the ingredients with my own in order to cut down on the sugar and fat content a bit.
If you don’t mind bumping up the carbs and fat a bit, you can bake this in a purchased graham cracker crust. Add another half portion of protein, and you have a BFL meal, graham cracker crumbs and all.
Title: KEY LIME PIE CHEESECAKE
Yield: 8 servings
32 oz. Yogurt, fat free plain (Organic brands without gelatin or pectin work best)
1/2 c. Splenda
2 T. Cornstarch
2 T. Key lime juice
4 Egg whites; lightly beaten
1/2 T. Vanilla extract
1 Prepared graham cracker crust (I used the cheap $0.98 Wal-Mart Great Value brand)
Yogurt Cheese Preparation–Drain the yogurt to make yogurt cheese. This is done by placing a
clean piece of cheesecloth or muslin in a colander or large funnel, then
spooning the yogurt into the cloth. Place colander over a bowl, then
place in refrigerator overnight. The whey will drain from the
yogurt, leaving the yogurt cheese in the cloth. (If you enjoy yogurt cheese, which can be substituted for cream cheese, sour cream, and cottage cheese in many recipes, you might want to invest in the Donvier Yogurt Cheese Maker from Amazon.com. This gadget greatly simplifies yochee making.)
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Lightly grease an 8-inch pie pan or 7-inch springform pan. (You may skip this step if you are using a prepared pie crust.)
3. Place yogurt cheese in a medium-size bowl.
4. Add Splenda, vanilla extract, cornstarch, and lime juice, mixing gently with a fork or wire whisk until well blended.
5. Stir in the eggs.
6. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Bake until center is set: 25 to 30 minutes for a pie pan, or 55 to 60 minutes for a springform pan. Cool slightly on a wire rack. Refrigerate until chilled.
MAGGIE’S NOTE: I had to bake my cheesecake for close to 50 minutes in the pie shell before the enter was set, not the 25-30 minutes recommended in the recipe. Your baking time may vary.
Without Crust, 1/8th of pie–67 calories, 9.2 g carb, 6.8 g protein, 0.11 g fat, 0.033 g fiber
With Crust, 1/8th of pie–177 calories, 23.17 g carb, 7.8 g protein, 5.11 g fat, 0.66 g fiber