Apples are one of the cheapest fruits available, but I get sick of eating them in their natural state pretty quickly. This recipe from the Weight Watcher’s Simply the Best cookbook is YUMMY. I usually break it down into 6-8 servings instead of four. Perfectly suitable as a carb portion, and the “normals” in your life won’t even realize it’s healthy food.
Microwave Apple and Pear Crisp
– 2 Empire or other firm apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
– 2 pears, cored and thinly sliced
– 1/2 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
– 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
– 3 T. all-purpose flour or ground oatmeal
– 1 t. cinnamon
– 1/4 t. grated nutmeg
– 4 t. cold reduced-calorie margarine, diced
1. Spray a 9″ square microwavable baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Place the apples and pears in the pan; with a vented cover, microwave on High, stirring once, until the fruit is tender-crisp, around 6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the oatmeal, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the fruit mixture.
4. Microwave on High, uncovered, until the fruit is tender and the topping is cooked, about 6 minutes.
Nutrition Info Per Serving:
3 g Total Fat (0 g Sat Fat)
0 mg Cholesterol
51 mg Sodium
44 g Total Carbohydrate (4 g Dietary Fiber)
3 g Protein
36 mg Calcium