I use this easy, lean pulled pork recipe from Oxygen at least once a month and plan to bring it to all of the cook outs I attend this summer so I’ll have a healthy option that won’t scare away the “normals” at the party. Since it’s slow cooked in a crock pot, you can even prepare it in the evening before bed or in the morning before work, let it cook for 8 hours on low, and wake up or come home to piping hot, freshly-cooked barbecue nirvana.
Pulled pork…. **drool***
Pulled Pork Sandwiches (Crock Pot)
(From the December 2007 issue of Oxygen Magazine, p. 161)
* Ready in 8 hours and 30 minutes *
* Makes 6 servings *
* 2 tsp. barbecue spice seasonings
* 1 lb lean pork tenderloin
* 2 tsp canola oil
* 1 small onion, halved and sliced
* 1/2 cup canned nonfat chicken broth, reduced sodium
* 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
* 1/2 cup commercial Kansas City-style barbecue sauce
* Salt and pepper to season
* 6 whole grain rolls
1. Rub barbecue spice over meat.
2. Over medium-high heat, heat 1 tsp oil in a fry pan. Brown meat on all sides for about 2 minutes per side and place in slow cooker.
3. Pour grease off pan and add remaining oil. Add onions and saute’ until soft, approximately 5 minutes, turning often. Add chicken broth to pan and using wooden spoon, scrape up bits from bottom of pan.
4. Pour broth over pork in the crock pot. Add tomatoes and barbecue sauce over pork. Cook for 8 hours on a low setting.
5. Remove pork from crock. Let cool for several minutes. Using two forks, begin pulling pork apart into shreds. Return shreds of meat to sauce. Stir. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
6. Cut rolls in half and fill with meat mixture.
NUTRIENTS PER SERVING:
Total fat: 7g
– Saturated fat: 1g
– Trans fat: 0g
– Cholesterol: 60mg
Sodium 1190 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 32g
– Fiber: 3g
– Sugars: 13g