I ran this morning using RCR’s 2nd HIIT pattern of two minutes running (@ 6, 7, 8, and 9 mph)/two minutes recovery (@ 3.5 mph). My endurance has improved with the loss of 6 pounds: I felt choppy and held back at 6 mph, 7 mph was comfortable without going anaerobic, 8 was challenging to sustain for two minutes but not gasping, wheezing bad, and 9 mph was still rough. I can probably do steady-state runs at a 7 mph pace without issues now. I followed the run with my W6D2 push up workout, but was too tired and out of fuel to do the required minimum 57 reps on the fifth set, so I’ll be repeating sets 3, 4, and 5 tonight when I’m rested and fed.
I’ve also been doing a daily 15-minute mini-challenge walk for Pink Dumbbells during lunch. So far I’ve gotten in four out of the five needed for the challenge.
I did not have time to do the 20 minutes of bonus steady-state cardio I had scheduled today, however, so I’ll be making that up after work. I’m leaning toward some YF Cardio at home vs. more gym time since I am straight up out of clean sports bras and will have to work out in my Nike tankini swim top, LOL.
It’s coming up on week 4 of the RCR contest, and I am starting to think about what I’ll be doing (besides changing over to the RCR Weeks 4-6 circuit routines) to really kick butt in the last three weeks and make sure I am at my 138 lb/20% bf goal on November 2.
Here are my proposed modifications:
- Stay with 6 meals per day, but switch over to Val’s exact meal plan options and keeping my menu the same for a week at a time for consistency.
- Eliminate my full cheat meal per week and do two portion-controlled cheat items instead.
- ONE heavier shoulder day per week to make sure I don’t wind up with bony Skeletor shoulders.
- On HIIT days, I will do 10-15 minutes of stationary bike and 15-20 minutes of steady-state running after my intervals. Currently I am just doing 20 minutes of recumbent bike.
- On RCR Circuit days, I will add in 30 minutes of moderate, non-running cardio: inline skating, elliptical, incline walking.
- Continue working on flexibility with two 30-minute yoga or YF Flexibility sessions a week.
I am only going to make the diet and shoulder workout changes in week 4 to start with, then gradually add in the cardio tweaks only if I am not making the expected amount of progress. That should be enough extra calorie burn and clean eating to get me to my goal by the end of the contest without killing my energy.
1. 3 egg whites, 30g oats, 1 small diced apple, 5 pieces chili radish
2. 3 oz. roast chicken breast, 2/3 c. mixed veggies, 1/2 c. green beans, 1/2 c. brown rice
3. 10 almonds, 20 g raisins
4. 6 oz. sauteed tofu, 1/2 c. natural apple sauce, 1 t. chili paste
5. Green smoothie (1 c. light soy milk, 3/4 scoop protein powder, 1 handful raw spinach, 1 nectarine, 1/2 banana, 1/2 c. fresh cranberries, 4 ice cubes)
6. 4 oz. tilapia or flounder, 1 c. Brussels sprouts, 1 protein fudgsicle
Water: 16 cups
Supplements: multivitamin, calcium 600+D, 6 fish oil capsules
* RCR HIIT 2 (30 min @ 3.5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 mph)
* PDB walk (15 min)