I am currently accepting commissions for custom crocheted art dolls. Please read through the following FAQ before contacting me about a commission! There is also a calendar below showing my availability.
Commissioned Doll FAQ
How much are your dolls?
– A plain brown or linen colored doll with a zipper and no hair or clothing is $30. Custom dolls made to look like specific characters start at $50 and can go up to $100 depending on materials used and complexity. The average price for a custom doll is $60-$85.
As a guideline, here are some prices for dolls I have already made:
How long is the wait for a doll?
– I can complete around two to three dolls per week at this time (I still have to make video games during the day, eat, sleep, and workout, alas.), so the wait on some of these could be up to 4-6 months. To get these dolls made and shipped faster, I will group similar or identical characters (the very popular Hellboy or the classic brown or off-white Sackboy/girl, for example) together and make them in batches. If you need your doll by a certain date for a gift or event, please let me know so I can book your order in advance.
Once I start work on your doll, it is generally completed in 4-7 days. I ship out completed dolls on Wednesday and Saturday. Commissions are filled on a first-come-first-serve basis, though I will do my best to accommodate gift orders with a definite due date.
Can you ship outside of the U.S.? How much is shipping?
– USPS Priority Mail within the United States is approximately $9 for a single doll. For those of you who live outside the United States, I am willing to ship internationally via USPS First Class International mail which usually runs $10 USD to Canada and $15 USD for Europe, the United Kingdom, and Australia. Shipping costs will be in addition to the cost of the doll. If you are not in the US and would still like to order a doll, let me know your city and country, and I’ll get back to you with an updated shipping quote.
How do I pay for my doll?
– I currently accept only Paypal payments via my Artfire shop. Payment is required in advance to reserve your spot. If you agree to the quoted price for your commissioned doll, I’ll create a custom commission item for you on Artfire so you can complete payment and get your shipping information into the system.
Can you make…?
– If it’s a humanoid with relatively close-fitting clothing that can be crocheted as part of the body itself, then yes, definitely, even if they have tails, animal ears, or crazy hair. Some characters with big trench coats or clothing that can’t be crocheted without being too bulky might wind up with sewn outfits. (Note on clothing: Removable clothing could be a little problematic with these dolls since their limbs are shaped completely backwards compared to real humans, whose extremities tend to taper at the ends rather than get bigger, making it easier to get into and out of clothes.) REALLY non-standard guys like Big Daddy from Bioshock with helmets, tanks, and more will have to be discussed–whether the helmet needs to be removable, etc. I can also make weapons and accessories from fabric, polymer clay, and/or other materials as needed for the doll on a case-by-case basis.
You can see a gallery of dolls that I have made in the past here: Commissioned Doll Gallery
What about zippers?
– In most cases I use a real metal zipper (decorative only…don’t open unless you want to unstuff the doll). The default at this time is either a bright silver tone on black or navy tape or a more subdued antique brass tone on light grey or black tape. You may specify which you prefer in your order.
What if I want a doll with an Angry or Neutral expression?
– While the default head is the open-mouthed grinning one with the tongue sticking out, I can also do an “Angry” head with eyebrow ridges and a downturned, embroidered mouth as seen in the Kratos doll, or a close-mouthed regular head with an embroidered neutral mouth. Please let me know if you would prefer one of the non-standard expressions.
Here is my current availability for commissioned art and dolls. I generally have time for four projects per week. Check the calendar for available weekly slots and to confirm the week that your commission will be worked on.
If you are interested in commissioning a custom doll from me, please contact me via my email form.
- Custom Crocheted Sackboys Defy Logic at Kotaku.com
- Sackboy and Hellboy Crochet Mashup at Crafty Crafty
- LittleBigPrinceOfPersia at Kotaku.com
- Fan Art Friday: Custom Crocheted Fruit Brute SackBoy! at Gaygamer.net
- Spock Sackboy Crochet Doll in time for the New Star Trek Film at PS3maven.com
- Introducing Maggie Wang and her amazing custom Sackboy plushes at Tomopop.com
- Five Amigurumi Sackboys by causticmuse at Geek Crafts